Friday, January 4, 2013

MEXICO

Mexico was fun.  It always is.  This was such a short visit, but nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it!  It was my first time to Puebla, on a quick layover to visit my friends Marnie and Abbey.  Marnie's flight was canceled last minute and delayed two full days (who does that?!), so it ended up being just Abbey and I for New Years.  I have to say, Puebla is not exactly a happening spot.  After wandering the deserted streets for nearly an hour, we finally found a hamburger/hot dog stand that offered us some impromptu tacos.  Not exactly how I was planning to spend New Year's Eve, but it had to do... The bright side?  I had great company :)
The next day wasn't a whole heap better, but I will say this for Puebla: I relaxed, rested, and got some internet stuff done.  Besides that, I had a wonderful time with great friends.  The food was good (as always in Mexico) and the view of the volcano Popocateptl was pretty sweet...

Churros in the Plaza with Abbey

Una cemita!
What I seem to keep forgetting is how much I like Mexico City.  I could live there.  People are EVERYWHERE.  When I arrived on the bus from Puebla, it was immediately evident in the pile-up of traffic... I don't know how they do it!
I made it to a sketchy hostel in a neighborhood behind the airport, dropped my bag, locked up all my valuables as best I could, and hit the streets!  Riding the metro was a hoot; people coming through with their boomboxes, selling stuff, the works.  I met a nice guy going my direction who whisked me through the maze of subway station stairs and corridors, and before I knew it, I was downtown!  A live Cuban band, and a room full of dancers :)  *Happy place*  Some last minute emails, a hot shower, and a half-hour nap was all that I had time for before my 8:45 a.m. Cubana flight... Have to arrive early to those things!  Needless to say, it's 9:15 a.m. as I sit here writing, and we are definitely not on board the plane... Nope, not even an announcement.  I heard someone say our plane was in Veracruz, Mexico.  The screen is still flashing "8:45 On Time".  Guess not.  Welcome to Cuban Airways.  Just a little reminder of what the next month will be like...  A lot of waiting :)  That's okay. I can deal with it.  I'm prepared.  It's worth it!  Let's see what time I get there (and if my ride is still waiting on the other end)...


0 comments:

Post a Comment