Saturday, January 19, 2013

BIRTHDAY


            I could not have asked for a better birthday celebration than I had this year in Cuba.  I turned 25 this past Monday, but the party felt like a quinciñiera, a Latino tradition along the lines of a gsweet 16h birthday bash.  My Cuban family in Trinidad went all out!
            I slept in (of course), only to wake up to a tropical breakfast spread of diced fruit, fresh guava juice, strong Cuban coffee, and a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.  The sun was out in full force, greeting me with warm hugs and kisses :)  Pure ecstasy.  Before I had even finished eating, my very own dance teacher showed up to congratulate me and give me two hours of private instruction.  I've met a few dancers in my lifetime, but he's one of the best.  What more could I possibly want for my birthday than a couple hours of solid dancing with a pro?!
            When the class was over, I took a quick shower and my Cuban mom and sister took me for a manicure and pedicure – full service.  I needed my nails to match my dress ;)  My mom disappeared for a minute, only to return with a little bag of chicharritas (basically thin banana chips) my favorite!  The streets are full of people and activity this week because it happens to be “Semana de la Cultura”, which is a week-long festival of street vendors, markets, Art, live music, and dancing every night.  It happens to fall on the week that I am here – fantastic.  I've never experienced such an efficient nail treatment, but the girl was accurate and quick!  The whole thing cost about 50 American cents... not too shabby.
            Back home to shower and get ready for the evening.  We had a photographer come to take pictures of all of us individually and as a group.  There was a beautiful cake, snacks and appetizers, and a case of cold Bucanero beer for everyone!  The evening was spent with people dropping by, having a delicious dinner together, and then, I hit the streets!  Danced, danced, danced the night away... A quarter of a century.  I may be older, but I don't feel it at all!  :D

This is where I tried to insert a photo... but uploading a photo with a Cuban internet connection?!  Forget it.  I´m patient, but I´ve put several hours into this process already and still no success... Pictures to come...

            Cuba has been incredible thus far.  I think half of La Habana knows me.  I walk through Centro Habana and say hi to people as if I've lived there my whole life.  Not a day has passed that I don't meet someone new, make a friend, and exchange contact info.  It's January – winter – but warm as can be and sunny every day.  Es Cuba!  :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment