Sunday, May 20, 2012

It is SO COLD!

A week ago yesterday I arrived at the King's Lodge in England.  I have to say that so far, it has been everything I expected it to be: cold and miserable!  It's cloudy, it rains intermittently, and it's FREEZING - even inside the building!  The weather aside, it's nice to be in the middle of nowhere, but ONLY because it's helping me to get stuff done (notice how I'm updating my blog for the first time in quite a while)... That's because there's nothing else to do around here!  The base is located in the country, about a 45 minute walk from the nearest town, Nuneaton.  Although in any other country that might be a nice walk, the cloudy skies and brisk temperatures keep me from wandering out beyond the absolutely necessary.

My neighbors (as seen here on the right) are COWS.  Down the road we have some SHEEP... my favorite... NOT!  I'm just not really a country girl, and the whole farm-animal thing... not so much.  But hey, for some people, this feels like home.  Personally, though, I miss the CITY!



What I did for "fun" this weekend: walk to town. Nuneaton at least shows signs of life... there are PEOPLE (versus cows and sheep), and a few places to sit and have a good cup of coffee (necessary in this weather!).  It's a good change from lectures, dancing, and sleeping... All my other time has been spent desperately trying to catch up on 2 months worth of emails and messaging... Getting there!




Did I mention how the British drive on the WRONG side of the road?!  Just wanted to point that out :)  Not only do I have to walk 45 minutes in miserable weather to get to town, but I almost died in the process because cars are coming from all the wrong directions..!  They weren't very keen on hitchhikers either... not quite sure why not :)


Anyhow, those are my first thoughts from this wet little country... It's nice and green - quite the contrast from Amsterdam.  It's peaceful, and quiet, and I have been going to bed earlier this past week then I think I ever have before!  I suppose that's good.  But still, the lack of sunshine is hard to bear... especially knowing that Amsterdam, and even Bellingham, are having much nicer weather... of all the places I could be right now... Aaaah.  HOWEVER, I am in a new place, meeting lots of people, and that's always an adventure, of course!

Now that I'm stuck here for the time being, I'll try to update my blog more often... What I'll find to write about, I'm not quite sure, but there is bound to be something exciting going on :)  If you're reading this and the sun is shining wherever you are, count your blessings!  Chances are, it's not shining here!  :D

In dire need of SUNSHINE, yet thankful to be alive,

Steph :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment